I love chickpeas! I used to order falafel every time I go to a Mediterranean restaurant until I realise that there were deep fried. ☹ But very high in iron and protein because it’s base ingredients are Chickpeas!
I even have a recipe for Hummus! Let me know if you are interested!
Do not fret if you are on a nutrition plan and trying to eat a little healthier. This recipe won’t hurt your diet because it is made with lesser oil compared to traditional falafel.
This easy Falafel recipe is made quicker and healthier in the air fryer with canned chickpeas so no more deep frying!
WHAT ARE FALAFELS MADE OUT OF?
Falafel balls are usually made of chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), but you can find other variations depending on where you buy your falafel. The chickpeas are usually soaked, then ground up, and seasoned with herbs, spices, and aromatics. However, I used can chickpeas and drained out the water before using it.
The trick is to blend all your other ingredients first so you don’t over-process the chickpeas and just pulse them a few times at the end. A few spritzes of olive oil before air frying makes them crisp on the outside and tender inside.
EASY HOMEMADE FALAFEL
ARE FALAFELS VEGAN OR VEGETARIAN?
Yes, falafel is both vegetarian and vegan. They are made from 100% plant-based ingredients—chickpeas, herbs, spices, and onions. It’s typically served with other vegan-friendly foods such as pita bread, salad, and pickled vegetables. But I am a home cook so I aint as fancy as the restaurants.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped spring onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (More if you like spicy)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- olive oil spray
Process until blended 30 to 60 seconds,
- Dry the chickpeas on paper towels.
- Place the onions and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the parsley, scallions, cilantro, cumin, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Process until blended 30 to 60 seconds, then add the chickpeas and pulse 2 to 3 times until just blended, but not pureed.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and the flour, scape the sides of the bowl down with a spatula and pulse 2 to 3 times.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate, covered, 2 to 3 hours.
- Form the falafel mixture into 12 balls, if it’s too sticky add some flour to your hands and your work surface.
- Preheat the air fryer 200 degrees.
- Spray the falafel with oil. Cook 14 minutes, in batches until golden brown, turning halfway
I LOVE MY AIR FRYER
Serving: 3falafel balls
Calories: 134 kcal
Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside